Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a complete health food nut, and have been ever since I started following the Warrior Diet in 2008.  Normally I’m pretty strict about eating as natural and organic as possible for a few reasons: 1) Eating processed crap catches up with you fast, and 2) I feel WAY  better when I eat healthy.

However, lately I’ve been letting myself be a little more lenient on occasion, and it’s not uncommon to see me indulging in a few decidedly not-so-healthy food and drinks.  My faves?  Well, Guinness and Moscow Mules to begin with (If you don’t know what a Moscow Mule is, you’re missing out), and  the occasional large pizza or big, greasy double burger and fries from Five Guys Burger and Fries.  And you know what?  

I’m leaner than I’ve ever been.

Why?

I’m not a nutritionist or dietician, or really an expert on this sort of thing at all, but if I had to chalk that up to anything, it’d be this: 
1)                 My training (i.e. “workouts”) is hard, smart, and brief.
2)                 I actually LIKE eating healthy, so I gladly do it regularly.
3)                 Eating like crap every once in a while isn’t the end of the world.

These (and and other) factors matter for various reasons, but the third one is especially important.    You don’t have to give up your favorite foods, just cut back.  Not even all at once.  Keep a food journal, track the crap you shovel into your mouth, and over the coming weeks and months, strive to reduce it while replacing it with fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, and lean protein.  

If you know there’s going to be a day that you’ll be eating like trash, don’t sweat it; just plan for it!  Thanksgiving’s a perfect example.  Fat loss expert Josh Hillis has said “Thanksgiving is a FREE DAY…Seriously, go crazy.  I swear, it's not what you eat on Thanksgiving that makes you fat or fit.  It's what you eat the other six days out of every week.”  Why stress about how much/little to eat on Thanksgiving?  Go nuts!  As long as your diet and training regimen are on point on all the other days, going overboard once isn’t going to derail your efforts.

And in the spirit of going overboard, I’m going to share with you, my dear readers, my all-time favorite recipe for No-Bake cookies that my friends Jay and Andrea Erickson make:
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
4 tbl cocoa
Dash of salt
½ cup milk
½ cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup butter
3 cups quick cooking oats

1.       Measure oats out in a separate bowl.
2.       Combine all ingredients except the peanut butter
3.      Bring to boil and cook for 90 seconds
4.       Remove from heat
5.        Stir in the peanut butter, allowing it to dissolve.
6.        Add in the oats.
7.        Mix well.
8.       Drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet or wax paper.
9.      Cool for 30 minutes or until solidly set.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Aleks

No comments:

Post a Comment